Birth Fee: $900
Birth Doula Experience: 6 years and 10 births attended
Not SpecifiedType of Practice: Solo practice
Clients per Month: 1 to 2Attends hospital births? All Hospitals
Languages spoken: English, German
Knowing Vanessa for a long time, her passion for all things babies has been part of who she is for as a long as I’ve known her. That’s why the moment I got pregnant I turned to her for support and advice through both my first and second pregnancies.
Her knowledge was crucial to getting me through the extraordinary pain of pre-labor, both coming to my house several time to try different techniques for the pain and in the birthing center. Her compassion was essential during labor and after. From gentle coaching, to “refueling” me with food and making sure I stayed hydrated. She helped me stay focused on the end result and was supportive in the afterbirth from breastfeeding tips, to guiding me on what would happen next.
She also coached my husband through my extraordinary painful moments, and was supportive of him and I. She knew how to read the room on when to let us work together on our own, and stepping in at the right time to offer support.
I’m not sure I would have had as successful of an intervention free birth without her. I’d recommend her as a “must have” to any mom on the pregnancy journey.
Top 5 reasons I am glad Vanessa was at the birth of my son
1. She helped me prepare - Vanessa met with us to go over our birth plan. She was supportive of the decisions we made and helped us have an experience that was as close as possible to our plan. As our Bradley instructor, she was knowledgeable about what to expect and how to handle situations when things don’t go as planned. Knowing that Vanessa would be there helped to reduce my anxiety and make me feel prepared to handle a non-medicated birth.
2. She relaxed my husband - As great as the Bradley class was, my husband was still (for lack of a better term) freaking out while I was in labor. The moment that Vanessa arrived at the hospital, I saw the look of relief on my husband’s face and suddenly he was much more relaxed and helpful. She reminded him to tell me to relax, and got him something to eat.
3. She managed the nurses - During labor, a nurse came in to draw blood to confirm my type. Vanessa politely told her that this could be done after the birth and sent her away. I was calm during labor, so the nurses were not aware of how far along I was. Vanessa was skilled in recognizing the subtle signs of transition and insisted that the nurse call the midwife. 10 minutes after the midwife arrived, I was pushing.
4. She was an extra set of hands - She took turns fanning me when I was too warm (the whole labor), helped hold my legs while pushing, and took pictures.
5. She was thoughtful - Vanessa is warm and caring. Upon returning home from the hospital we were welcomed by an “It’s a boy!” balloon that she had left. In the weeks after the birth she gave breastfeeding advice and answered questions.
The birth would not have been the same without Vanessa. I hope she can be present at the births of any future children I have.
When I started laboring, Vanessa came to my house and got me outside to walk. She invited me to her house so I could use her tub to take a bath and to nap. She was available to talk when I needed her. At the hospital she kept massaging my lower back/butt area when my contractions came. She kept me hydrated and as comfortable as possible. She was very comforting and supportive of my wants. During child birth, she got my attention and reminded me that I wanted to feel my baby's head once it was out. She knew my birth plan so well and I'm grateful for her remembering. That will always stick out when remembering the day.
Vanessa was our doula for the birth of our daughter in February 2015. Both my husband and I can attest to Vanessa’s ability and knowledge. Her presence during the birth of our daughter was a tremendous help. This was our first pregnancy and we both wanted to have an experienced and encouraging coach to help us along the way. In addition, I wanted to complete childbirth naturally with no medication. However, things didn't go exactly as I planned and I ended up with a 38 hour labor and an epidural. With Vanessa's help, I was still able to deliver my daughter vaginally. Vanessa was a great resource when deciding how to progress in our labor when the midwife and nurses suggested Pitocin and internal monitoring. It was great to have an educated partner on my side, not on the hospitals clock.
My husband took a lot of comfort in Vanessa as well. From the early stages of labor he would text her any questions or concerns he had. All throughout our labor at the hospital, he had Vanessa to lean on. He was able to get some food or take a break which was invaluable to him during my 38 hour labor. Vanessa also took lots of pictures for us in the first hour of my daughter's life; pictures we would not have if she wasn't there. She stayed with us in the hours after the birth, answering questions and being an emotional support. We gave birth at 8pm so by the time everything was said and done it was late at night and we were starving. Vanessa went out to Chipotle and brought back food for us. She really was a "full service" doula and we could not have done it without her!
In the days following the birth, Vanessa continued to be a huge help to us. She was always only a phone call or text away when we needed answers about breastfeeding, doctor's appointments or general newborn care. We highly recommend using Vanessa as your doula. She is warm, knowledgeable and fun to be around- all things that are very important qualities in a doula!
= Available. Calendar last updated: 5/30/2017 5:24:15 AM